What Are Allergy Injections?
Allergy injections and immunotherapy (also known as desensitization or hyposensitization) is a medical treatment for people with allergies. The patient is injected with a small amount of an allergenic substance in order to improve their tolerance. Allergy injections are specific to your allergies and will gradually reduce the need for other allergy medications.
Allergy injections work by exposing the body to small doses of the allergen, such as pollen, pet dander, or dust mites. The aim is to train the immune system to be less impacted by the allergen. This can lead to a decrease or elimination of the allergic reaction.
We carefully tailor the process of allergy injections to each individual's specific allergies. Before starting the treatment, the allergist will conduct a thorough evaluation to identify the specific allergens causing the allergic reactions. Based on this assessment, we create a personalized treatment plan.
As the body adapts to the allergen, it may require fewer other allergy medicines such as antihistamines or nasal sprays. This can be a significant benefit for individuals who rely heavily on these medications to manage their allergy symptoms.
It is important to note that allergy injections are not a quick fix. The treatment typically lasts up to 5 years, depending on the individual's response. Consistency and adherence to the treatment plan are crucial for its effectiveness.
While allergy injections can be highly effective in reducing allergic reactions, they may not be suitable for everyone. Individuals with certain medical conditions or those taking certain medications may not be eligible for this type of treatment. It is essential to consult with an allergist or immunologist to determine if allergy injections are the right option for you.
How Does Immunotherapy Work?
Immunotherapy involves getting shots, starting with 1-2 times a week and increasing to the strongest dose over 5-6 months. At this time the injection frequency reduces to every 2-4 weeks, depending on how the patient is responding to treatment. Most patients receive treatment for 5 years, although the duration of treatment may vary.
Injections must be administered under the direct supervision of trained medical personnel and require a 30 minute waiting period after each injection to ensure your safety.
These injections gradually introduce small amounts of allergens to the body. This helps to increase tolerance and reduce the need for other allergy medications. While it requires commitment and patience, allergy injections can provide long-lasting relief for those suffering from allergies.
What Are the Benefits of Allergy Injections?
Allergy injections, also known as immunotherapy or allergy shots, provide several benefits for individuals suffering from allergies.
Here are some of the key benefits:
- Allergy shots reduce allergy symptoms by gradually exposing the body to small amounts of allergens. These allergens can include pollen, dust mites, or pet dander. Over time, this helps the immune system become less sensitive to these allergens, leading to a reduction in allergy symptoms.
- Long-term relief – Unlike some medications that only offer temporary relief, allergy injections can provide long-term benefits. The treatment modifies the underlying immune response, and it leads to lasting symptom improvement even after completing the treatment. This means that the benefits can persist for several years, reducing the need for continuous medication use.
- Allergy injections show that they prevent the progression of allergies. Allergies can lead to asthma. Immunotherapy can reduce the risk of developing asthma or other allergies by treating the root cause of allergies.
- Allergy shots can reduce the need for allergy medications like antihistamines, nasal sprays, or eye drops. This can lead to cost saving and fewer potential side effects associated with prolonged medication use.
- Allergies can greatly affect a person's life, including their sleep, work, and overall well-being. Allergy shots can improve the well-being of individuals with allergies. They can make it easier for them to carry out their daily activities. They achieve this by reducing the frequency and severity of their allergy symptoms.
This treatment works best for people with hay fever (seasonal allergies), asthma caused by allergies, or allergies to insect stings. The effectiveness can vary based on the allergens and how each person reacts.
If would like to schedule an allergy evaluation please contact us at (920) 435-6601.