At Bellin Health, non-healing wounds are treated with care and expertise. Receive professional treatment and therapies in wound healing as we develop a personalized plan based on your individual needs.
Time heals most wounds, but some injuries require advanced therapies to fully recover. A chronic wound is a wound that fails to heal within one month. It prevents the skin from performing its normal function of protecting against infection and holding nutrients within the body.
Painful, non-healing wounds shouldn’t be ignored. In most cases, healing requires special medical care from skilled providers who pair their expertise with effective techniques and technology.
Factors such as age, diet, smoking and circulation issues can cause these wounds. Poor blood circulation to your legs or feet is often a result of conditions like diabetes, arthritis and kidney disease.
These injuries can harm the entire body and cause severe infections in the bone and blood. This can lead to expensive treatment, amputation, loss of freedom, lower quality of life or even death.
Expert Care with Proven Results
When it comes to treating long-standing wounds, we take into consideration various factors that contribute to their development. Every wound is unique, but with expert care and proven therapies, most chronic wounds can improve in just 16 weeks or less, and the rate of limb amputation for non-responsive wounds is less than two percent.
Ask your provider about visiting our Wound Healing Center if:
- You’ve had a sore for over 30 days that won’t heal (commonly experienced by people with diabetes).
- You have a sore with increasing pain, redness and swelling, foul odor or changing color.
- You have an infected surgical wound.
Personalized Healing Plans
Receive wound healing therapies tailored to your specific needs as we create a personalized treatment plan for you.
- The provider treating your wound generally will refer you to the Wound Healing Center.
- When you call for your first appointment, we’ll ask you a few questions about your wound and general health.
- Our team will thoroughly evaluate your wound, health and medical history before beginning treatment.
- Tests may be conducted to tell us more about your blood flow and tissue oxygenation and determine if there’s an infection present.
- We’ll develop a treatment program based on our assessment of your needs. Your program will likely involve weekly visits to our clinic and your progress will be meticulously documented and adjusted as necessary.
Specialists Working Together for You
We are staffed with a unique team of providers with experience in wound care and advanced training in wound healing and hyperbaric medicine. This team of experts refuses to accept the idea that wounds won’t heal and is dedicated to healing chronic cases.
Wound Treatment & Therapy Options
You’ll receive the right treatment to heal your wound at Bellin Health. Your wound care provider may prescribe some of these therapies:
- Bio-engineered tissue substitutes
- Debridement (removal of dead or damaged tissue)
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- Negative pressure wound treatment
- Specialty dressings and leg wraps
- Total contact casting
Your Role in Successful Healing
Much of the success of treatment depends on you. We’ll count on you to carefully follow directions and watch your progress closely. You’ll learn about caring for your wound at home, including how to change dressings and protect yourself from further injuries.
We’re always here to answer questions and give you the support you need to heal. Our team is in constant communication with your primary provider throughout your treatment. Once your wound is healed, you’ll return to them for follow-up care.