Bellin Hospital among the top hospitals nationally for Orthopedic Surgery and Joint Replacement, according to Healthgrades
Bellin Hospital is one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery and Joint Replacement, according to new research released by Healthgrades, the leading resource that connects consumers, physicians and health systems. Every year, Healthgrades evaluates hospital performance at nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 31 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions.*
The hospitals that have achieved the Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery have demonstrated exceptional quality of care. From 2018-2020, patients treated at hospitals receiving the America's 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery Award have, on average, a 41 percent lower risk of experiencing a complication while in the hospital than if they were treated in hospitals that did not receive the award.*
“Consumers can feel confident in the America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery for their commitment to quality care and exceptional outcomes. The recognition helps provide peace of mind when selecting a place for care,” said Brad Bowman, MD, Chief Medical Officer and Head of Data Science at Healthgrades.
The commitment to basic principles such as access, quality, innovation and commitment to the community have helped establish Bellin Hospital’s Orthopedic and Sports Medicine service line as providing a first-class patient experience. Specific efforts include:
- Prioritizing rapid access to fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons through avenues including the health system’s Walk-In Orthopedic Injury Clinic. This allows patients to be in control of their care while helping navigate them through their experience.
- Implementing state-of-the-art technology, both diagnostically and in physical therapy. This assists in making accurate medical decisions and drastically improves the quality of care each patient receives.
- The obligation to the community for Bellin Health Sports Medicine and Orthopedics to establish safe, value-based programs such as our Same Day Total Joint Surgery Discharge program, which has 70 percent of patients returning home the day of their surgery. These efforts have proven that patients can receive the highest quality of care that can be affordable.
- A steadfast commitment to safety, as evidenced in very low, industry-leading surgery infection complication rates.
“We are honored to receive this recognition, and proud of the work our teams do, day in and day out, to ensure the very best in quality and patient experience for all we serve,” said Bellin Health President & CEO Chris Woleske. “Our Orthopedic Surgery providers and staff combine second-to-none expertise with a true focus on each patient’s individual needs to generate the very best outcomes for our patients.”
Bellin Hospital was also recognized for the following clinical achievements:
• Five-Star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement for 5 Years in a Row (2018-2022)
• Five-Star Recipient for Total Hip Replacement for 12 Years in a Row (2011-2022)
• Five-Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment for 4 Years in a Row (2019-2022)
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide to assess hospital performance in 31 common conditions and procedures and evaluated outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 16 states. Healthgrades recognizes a hospital’s quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as 5-star (statistically significantly better than expected), 3-star (not statistically different from expected), and 1-star (statistically significantly worse than expected).
About Bellin Health: Bellin Health, www.bellin.org, is an integrated healthcare delivery system based in Green Bay, Wis. It has served people in Northeast Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula since 1908. Bellin Health has more than 5,000 employees and is known for its emphasis on preventive healthcare and is a leader in cardiac, orthopedics, sports medicine, digestive health, mental health, and primary care medicine. It is comprised of Bellin Hospital, Bellin Psychiatric Center, 29 Bellin Health primary care physician clinics, and retail health clinics known as Bellin Health FastCare. Bellin operates Bellin Health Oconto Hospital, a critical care access hospital in Oconto, Wis., Bellin Fitness, Bellin Health Home Care Equipment and Bellin College. The health system also belongs to Bellin Health Partners, a clinically integrated network that includes Bellin Health, its employed providers and independent affiliated providers and Holy Family Memorial in Manitowoc, Wis., and its employed providers.
* Statistics are based on Healthgrades analysis of MedPAR data for years 2018 through 2020 and represent three-year estimates for Medicare patients only. For appendectomy and bariatric surgery, Healthgrades used inpatient data from 16 states that provide all-payer data for years 2017 through 2019. Due to the highly variable impact of the pandemic on hospital outcomes, Healthgrades made the decision to exclude cases with a COVID-19 diagnosis from the 2020 data in order to preserve the statistical integrity of our models and fairly evaluate clinical outcomes at all hospitals. To view the complete methodology, please visit: healthgrades.com/quality/ratings-awards/methodology